Poudre River, image by Jill Salahub
  • Camille Dungy’s Guidebook to Relative Strangers has made three exciting lists this fall, one of which was BookRiot’s 20 Great Essay Collections from 2017.
  • Harrison Candelaria Fletcher’s Presentimiento has been selected by Kirkus Reviews as among “The Best Indie Books of 2017.” https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/harrison-candelaria-fletcher/presentimiento/ He also had a new lyric essay, “Identity Theft,” picked up by Juxatprose.
  • Leif Sorensen attended the Association for the Study of the Arts of the Present (ASAP) conference in Oakland, CA. He presented a paper titled “The Apocalypse Is an Inhuman Story” at on October 26 and participated in a seminar on George Saunders’s new, and Booker Prize winning, novel Lincoln in the Bardo on the 28th.
  • On October 19-20, 2017 NTTF faculty and GTAs were able to attend the TYCA Conference in Loveland thanks to funding provided by the English Department. Attendees provided the following comments on their experience.
Kelly Bradbury: “I walked away from the conference with some concrete ideas for ways to help students improve their writing, as well as a larger understanding of “the science of learning.” The information on “the science of learning” (from the keynote speaker) is relevant to my teaching, but also to my understanding of my own learning processes and those of my children.”
ChiaoFen Chang: “I’m glad that I can share my TYCA experience and I’m very appreciative that CSU can support us to join this kind of professional meetings. I think the advantages are the new teaching concepts and experience sharing among the lecturers and the audience.  I learned a lot.”
Katie Hoffman: “Thanks to funding provided by our department, the sessions were very engaging and practical, and she would be happy to share what she learned with other colleagues!”
Beth Lechleitner: “Was delighted to share collegial learning with CSU past stars Lindsay Lewan and Liz Jackson, neighbors who teach English at UNC and CU, and a former CO300 student (Natural Resources major) who is now teaching English in a Colorado community college and pursuing an MFA at the University of Alaska!”
Airica Parker: “I wish to thank Genesea Carter and Louann Reid for their support and care in making that possible. Carter really went above and beyond for NTTF and GTAs to provide this opportunity, which is a wonderful contribution that speaks beautifully of her arrival as a community member in her first semester at CSU.  “Digital Storytelling Meets Composition,” the keynote address from Doug Hesse, and “Service Learning in the Composition Classroom” were among the highlights enjoyed by Parker at the conference.”
  • Several MFA and MA students from the English Department will be reading original work at the GradShow on Thursday, November 9 in the Grand Ballroom in Lory Student Center: 9:50AM: Emma Hyche
    10AM: Katherine Indermaur
    10:10AM: Sam Killmeyer
    10:50AM: Michelle LaCrosse
    11AM: David Mucklow
    11:10AM: Zach Yanowitz
  • SueEllen Campbell and John Calderazzo will be conducting a science communication webinar for the American Geophysical Union on November 15. More recently, John has conducted two communicating-with-the-public workshops for the CSU College of Engineering and two for the City of Fort Collins’ Climate Action Plan employees.
  • Mary Crow has been awarded a residency by the MacDowell Colony for the Arts for next spring. She is currently at the Atlantic Center for the Arts.