Brooke hugging a tree

Brooke Buchan
Journalism and Media Communications Major
Business Administration Minor

Besides your current classes, what else are you doing or have you done that we should know about? Awards? Special projects? Travel? Service work?

I traveled this past summer to Italy and Croatia. It was an awesome experience that helped me learn about myself and the world around me. I can’t wait to go back.

What inspired you to choose your specific degree path? Why CSU? 

Writing and words have always come easy to me and helped me make sense of the world. It would be awesome to use those writing to be able to help others understand their worlds. I chose CSU because of its location and the feel of the campus. Everyone is friendly and Fort Collins has a small city vibe that I like.

Why do you think the humanities are important?

The humanities are important because they embody how we experience the world. If there is not one there to describe and analyze those experiences, we lose the importance of them, and in a way begin to lose our humanity. They help us understand the positives and the negatives to decisions, they help us understand other people. We operate in a world that needs to understand communication and morality and expression in order to reach the potential we hold.

What advice do you have for current CSU English Department students?

Stay on top of your work. Do as much as you can now and learn from it before getting out in the “real world.”

What was the last piece of writing you read or wrote? OR, What are you currently reading, writing?

I’m currently reading Wild Minds by Marc. D. Hauser. It’s about the idea that animals experience and feel things in ways similar and different to ourselves. It’s hard to grasp at times, and has to be read with an open mind, but it’s very interesting.

What are your hobbies or special interests, what do you enjoy doing with your free time?

I love to hike and take photographs. If I could, I’d be in the mountains every weekend.

Where will we find you in five years?

In 5 years you’ll find me still in Colorado, hopefully closer to the mountains and purposing something I love to do. Writing and photography will always be involved.