Colorado State University holds its Celebrate Undergraduate Research and Creativity (CURC) Showcase every year in the Lory Student Center Ballroom. Students from every discipline — including English! — come together to present their work to other students, faculty, and professionals. This event allows the community to celebrate and learn from their hard work.
The upcoming CURC Showcase will include a poster exhibition, writing competition, art exhibition, and will culminate with an awards ceremony. The showcase features outstanding performers and award winners from all disciplines. Following the showcase, an awards ceremony recognizes all participants and honored awards winners from the various events.
English majors may be particularly interested in submitting work in the Writing Competition category. Both creative writing (including, but not limited to fiction, nonfiction, poetry and multigenre works) and nonfiction writing (including, but not limited to, essays, academic writing, journalism and multigenre works) can be submitted. The Highest Honor recipient will be published in the Journal of Undergraduate Research and Scholarly Excellence, and receive a $250 gift certificate to the CSU Bookstore!
Recent English department Writing Competition winners:
- High Honors 2013: Chelsea Hansen for “The Road to Nowhere” and Lee Hutchinson for “In the Moonlight.”
- High Honors 2014: Krista Reuther for “Starving Artist,” (Faculty Mentor: Todd Mitchell).
“CURC is an excellent way for students in the English Department to share their creativity as a writer or researcher with the larger CSU community.”
~Mary Swanson, Associate Director of the Office for Undergraduate Research and Artistry
This year, the CURC is offering several awards for students who receive top honors in the five categories. The awards are as follows:
- 6 $250 travel awards are available for students who receive top honors in the research poster category
- 1 $250 travel award is available to a student who receives top honors in the service learning category
- 1 $250 travel award is available to a student who receives top honors in the oral presentation exhibition
- 1 $250 award is available to a student who receives top honors in the writing competition (in the form of a gift certificate to the CSU Bookstore), and publication in the Journal of Undergraduate Research and Scholarly Excellence
- 1 $250 award is available to a student who receives top honors in the Art Exhibition, this award will be put toward framing the winning piece and displaying it in our offices in Johnson Hall
Registration and submission of abstracts are due no later than 11:59 pm, March 24, 2015, and can be submitted online. All undergraduate research, design, or other creative projects are appropriate for CURC. For more information, visit the CURC website or contact the CURC Directors.
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 – 10:30AM-1:30 PM
Lory Student Center Ballroom
CURC Awards Ceremony
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 – 5:00-7:00 PM
Lory Student Center Theatre