April is National Poetry Month. The Academy of American Poets started the party in 1996, and it’s become the largest literary celebration in the world. The Academy of American Poets hoped it would:
- highlight the extraordinary legacy and ongoing achievement of American poets,
- encourage the reading of poems,
- assist teachers in bringing poetry into their classrooms,
- increase the attention paid to poetry by national and local media,
- encourage increased publication and distribution of poetry books, and
- encourage support for poets and poetry.
We couldn’t agree more with those goals, and plan to help the cause by featuring poets and poems here on the blog for the whole month of April.