You might recognize Mike and Tiffany. They are work studies in the English department’s main office.

Mike Hedemark
Mike Hedemark

Mike Hedemark
Business Major, expected graduation 2019

What brought you to CSU?
I came to CSU to learn and grow on a beautiful campus with a community that is lively and sincerely nice. The CSU community is a good one and I’m glad to be a part of it.

What classes are you taking this semester?
I am taking a good number of electives this semester to prepare me for my major and next semester I plan to roll into my business classes. My classes this semester are a variety of Psychology classes with a math class and an economics class.

What is required of your position as a work study?
My position as a work study is very important as I do many things to help around the office. I generally get all of the surveys ready for the staff, I order desk copies for all the professors, and I also troubleshoot computers and the copy machines. There is also the little things that I do, that include making sure the paper is stocked, and grabbing the mail for the English department, while also running errands for the office.

What has been your favorite moment at CSU?
My favorite moment at CSU was last year for homecoming when the fireworks went off and I was able to watch them from my dorm. It was pretty cool.

Describe Eddy in one word.
Modernized.

Do you have a favorite book or author?
I don’t read as much as I should and I should read more, but If I had to pick a favorite book, I would choose the Hunger Games series. That series was a fun and entertaining read.

Do you have any advice for incoming freshmen?
My only advice to freshman is to enjoy the little things and go to class. I enjoyed living in the dorms last year and I have gained many friendships that I have with many cool people. I would suggest that you meet all of your hall mates as we had a strong bond as a group when I was a freshman. Also, go to class, it isn’t that much of a struggle especially because you choose your schedule, so go to class.

What’s your biggest priority right now?
My biggest priority right now is to get into the college of business which requires me to get a B or better in my math class. Once that is done, then I can take my business classes.

Where will we find you in five years?
In 5 years, you will find me running my own business or working my up a corporate ladder to own a business.

Tiffany Lingo
Tiffany Lingo

Tiffany Lingo
English/Communication Education Major, expected graduation Spring 2017

What brought you to CSU?
I walked onto campus and saw hundreds of smiles and hugs, even though it was a cloudy, drab day. I was excited to be a part of this happy campus!

Early Women Writers, Shakespeare I, Composition 301D, Advanced Public Speaking, Communications and Popular Culture, and Interpersonal Communications.

Favorite English class? Favorite English teacher? Favorite assignment or project?
I think my favorite English class would have to be the introduction to Poetry, the readings were fulfilling and I learned something amazing and new every day.

A favorite English Teacher is a difficult choice, but I admire Theresa Sandelin a lot and would have to choose her. She made the American Literature class I took with her very informative and clear and showed so much passion during lecture. That class was difficult for me, but I learned and enjoyed the classes so much that I loved it.

My favorite assignment is from this semester in Early Women Writers with Aparna Gollapudi, Just an Ordinary Day is a fictional, historically accurate narrative about a woman in the 18th century. Gollapudi has this assignment be about a woman of your choosing in the 1700s, and the accurate representation of a day in her life. I am really enjoying this project as I learn more and more about the 18th century, and create characters and narrate a story as if I am actually in the small London town in the 1700s.

Why is it important to study English, the Humanities?
I love to study people, and that is why I love being in the Humanities. I think it’s important to be able to connect and relate to another time or story, be able to connect to a character, or connect to an idea. When we study the inner workings of novels and poems and stories, we gain a perspective that we didn’t have before. We can understand a little bit of the life of the character and a little bit of the history of the time. In all Humanities, we study people and their thoughts, beliefs, and actions, and this is vital to understanding and helping our humanity.

In the English Department Office, I am there right up front so I can assist anyone that has a question or concern for us. I mostly help with organizing and filing documents into the appropriate place and making sure that files get to the right person at the right time.

My favorite moments at CSU are during finals, students everywhere are supportive and loving, and so many were giving food and supplies that assist students.

Describe Eddy in one word.
Welcoming.

Do you have a favorite book or author?
A favorite book of mine would be To Kill a Mockingbird, and my favorite author is Edgar Allan Poe.

Do you have any advice for English majors?
Read for fun! It’s hard to be able read your personal books with the hundreds of readings that we have but keeping reading a part of your life as luxury is important.

What’s your biggest priority right now?
My biggest priority right now is to focus on grades and final projects for classes ending, and to prepare for my classes next semester.

Where will we find you in five years?
I hope you’ll find me in a high school, teaching English and Speech classes, and I also hope to be working on my Masters as well.