Antero Garcia is an Assistant Professor in the English department at Colorado State University. Antero’s research focuses on developing critical literacies and civic identity through the use of mobile media and game play in formal learning environments. Prior to moving to Colorado, Antero was a teacher at a public high school in South Central Los Angeles. Antero received his Ph.D. in the Urban Schooling division of the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles,

antero02

In 2008 Antero co-developed the Black Cloud Game. A Digital Media and Learning Competition award recipient, the Black Cloud provoked students to take real time assessment of air quality in their community. Using custom-developed sensors that measure and send data about air quality, students critically analyzed the role pollution played in their daily lives and presented recommendations to their community.

Antero is a 2010-2011 U.S. Department of Education Teaching Ambassador Fellow, providing teacher input and feedback on national education policy initiatives.

Antero’s numerous publications and conference presentations address technology, educational equity, youth participatory action research, and critical media literacy. Updates about Antero’s work can be found on his blog, The American Crawl.

Faculty Profile: Antero Garcia
~by Brianna Wilkins

Antero Garcia hasn’t taught at CSU for long, but he’s definitely made an impact on the English department. With his quirky sense of humor, and down to earth personality, I forgot that I was talking to a professor and felt as if I were having a regular conversation with one of my peers. From discussing his thoughts about academia, to us both professing our disdain for the cold weather, I was able to find out some interesting things that you might not know about Professor Garcia.

antero03

What brought you to CSU?

I honestly came to CSU because it seemed like such a great place to work. I feel like there is such a familial atmosphere in the department. Being in the English department is exciting is because the person next door is an amazing poet, and across from me is an amazing nonfictional environmental writer; as a result I really like this kind of space.

What inspired you to pursue a degree in English?

What I like about literature is being able to engage and talk to people about it, and being able to build something as a community, and I think that’s what made me want to become a teacher.

Who has had the greatest influence on you?

Probably Whitney Houston [laughs]. I’m just playing, but could you still put that in there; she did believe that the children were our future [laughs again], but it would probably have to be my parents. My mom was an English teacher, and I really resisted becoming an English teacher because she was one. My father was an educator and a musician as well; a lot of the work I do is inspired by him, and I do it in his honor.

What special projects are you working on right now?

I recently just finished editing an EBook that’s coming out in March; it looks at how we’re transforming the possibilities of what happens in classroom spaces. Other CSU professors and student have contributed parts to it as well. I’m also currently researching and looking at role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons. Once a week I go play Dungeons & Dragons, and at first it was really fun, but some days it feels more like work since I have to take notes on it all of the time.

antero

What has been your favorite class to teach at CSU?

I taught four different classes, but the class I’ve had most fun with is the Composition 301B, which is the writing in the disciplines for education. It consists of all English education students doing different types of writing concerning education practices. I think it’s a fun class because of the possibilities we create of what we can do with different genres of writing.

What do you do during your free time?

I like to go to concerts and I like music a lot; I’m actually a huge Kanye West fan. When I’m not teaching I’m in charge of taking care of my dog; we go on long walks, and she loves chasing down rabbits.

What’s been your favorite classroom memory here at CSU?

My first semester teaching here, students from my Comp 301 class dressed up like me for Halloween. All of the students were late, and I was sad because I thought no one was going to come to class because it was Halloween. A few minutes later the students suddenly came in together and were dressed in ties and golfer hats; it was pretty cool.